Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 146 - May 26, 2012 Part 2

Female Common Mergansers
After working in the yard trying to clean up still after the October storm, I decided to talk a walk over to Nonnewaug High School to see what I can find.  This was my third time to Nonnewaug since I started my Big Year.

Male Northern Oriole
I walked down the driveway that takes you right to the loser field and headed over to the river to see what might be there.  I did not see anything new as I walked from that lone bleacher over to the softball field, but I did see:

3 female common mergansers, male northern oriole,  red-tailed hawk, 3 catbirds, 2 cardinals, 2 yellow warblers, 3 robins, grackle, red-winged blackbird, 2 chickadees.

Black-Capped Chickadee
Song Sparrow
But as I got to the bridge that goes from the softball field to that other field, I heard a bird singing - it sounded like it was saying "bees buzz".  A Blue-Winged Warbler!  But since I am not good with bird calls, let alone warbler calls, I wanted, no needed, more proof.  And I got proof!   I saw a bird fly into a bush and before I lost it, I was able to see its back and tail.  The bird was light gray in color and it tail was white on the outer edge.  After checking my book, it was what a blue-winged warbler looks like.

Finally, as I was leaving the parking lot, I saw a song sparrow singing away on top of a spruce tree.

DATA:  3:00-5:00pm; 80F; overcast; humid; slight breeze




68)  Blue-Winged Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment