Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 123 - May 2, 2012

Wow - what a day!  I left school and after having a hot chocolate sundae with everything at the Dairy Delite here in Woodbury, I went up to Trolley Bed Road. The only drawback was that when I spotted that male yellow warbler, my camera was in the car.  When I went back for the camera, the warbler was gone.  But tomorrow is another day!

I then went up to Logue's Farm where there was a report last week of a glossy ibis that was 'here today and gone tomorrow'.  But one never knows.  When I got to the pond on McVeigh Road, I scanned the pond with my binocs and saw lots of male wood ducks but then I saw a sandpiper!  So, to the car I went to get the spotting scope and tripod - I learned from that sandpiper on Trolly Bed Road to bring the scope with me - got the scope onto the tripod and started to observe the sandpiper.  It was dark on its back, white underneath, had dark legs, and an white eye ring - a SOLITARY SANDPIPER!  As I observed the sandpiper, a killdeer flew in so I watched the killdeer for a while through the scope.  And I counted 9 male wood ducks and 2 female wood ducks.

When I got home, I was bringing my laptop to our 'great room' where I work at home and saw a female ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK at the hopper feeder. 

Then as I started the grill, I heard a CATBIRD and when I went back into the great room, a male RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD was at the hummingbird feeder! 

SPRING IS HERE!  What a day!

DATA:  4:50-5:03pm; 56F; overcast; calm  for Logue's Farm
            5:59 pm for grosbeak;  6:03pm for catbird;  6:04 for hummingbird

54)  Solitary Sandpiper
55)  Rose-Breasted grosbeak - female
56)  Catbird
57)  Ruby-Throated Hummingbird - male


No comments:

Post a Comment