Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 142 - May 22, 2012

Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Yellow Shafted Flicker
Finally, after a few days of rain, I was able to visit Trolley Bed Road!


When I got out of the car and headed for the pond on Old Ben Sherman Road, I started two birds.  All I could see as they flew away was yellow flashing from under their wings
Yellow Shafted Flicker
Wild Iris??
Flickers!, I quickly thought but just wasn't 100% sure.  So I decided to walk down Trolley Bed Road with camera in hand and at the ready.  Did not see anything new, so I went back to where I saw the 'flicker'.
But when I got back to that tree, my hunch was proven correctly.  It was a Yellow-Shafted Flicker!  (The red-shafted flicker is found west of the Mississippi River).


 Besides the Flicker, I also saw:  male yellow-bellied sapsucker, great blue heron, 2 robins, kingfisher, 4 Canadian geese, 3 mallards, turkey vulture (feeding on the ground), red-winged black birds, grackles, and a red-shouldered hawk.
Kingfisher

 DATA:  5-5:25pm; 70F; overcast; slight


67)  Yellow-Shafted Flicker Kingfisher

No comments:

Post a Comment