Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 120 - April 29, 2012 - PART 2

After my stop at Trolley Bed Road, it was off to the Whittemore Sanctuary.  However, this time I took a few different trails instead of just the White Trail - I took the White to Red to White to Yellow to Blue.
Old Holes
Close-Up
As I left the Red Trail and go onto the White Trail, I noticed a tree with large holes in it made by a woodpecker.  These holes went into the center of the tree!  Smaller woodpeckers - downy and hairy - usually just chip off pieces of bark to get to insects that are under the bark but Pileated Woodpeckers dig deep into the tree to get to the ant colony, or some other insect colony, that inhabit the inner portion of the tree.  As I looked at the side of the tree facing me, I could tell the holes were old since the wood had developed a weathered appearance.  But as I walked past the tree, I noticed fresher 'drill' holes.


Newer  Holes
 As I continued on my way, I heard the LOUD 'hammering' of a woodpecker but ut wasn't enough information to make an identification - even though there were those big holes.  I did not hear much again for awhile.  Then all of a sudden, I heard this loud, wild sound - like a car engine trying to turn over but just couldn't.  It started out loud then got quieter as it went on for what seemed to be 10 seconds - KUK KUK KUK kuk kuk kuk kuk kuk kuk - PILEATED WOODPECKER! (bird #48).

I continued my walk without expecting to see too much.  Not sure why I thought that other than perhaps that it was chilly that morning and I figured most birds would not be out much since the chilled air might keep the insects from being out.  Boy, was I wrong!

Towhee
 First, I saw an EASTERN TOWHEE (#49) hopping here and there on a shrub.  Then a little later, 2 HERMIT THRUSHES (#50) came close to the trail.  Hermit  Thrushes can be told from their more musical cousins the Wood Thrushes by where there is red/rufous on the bird.  The hermiT thrush has the color on its Tail and the wooD thrush has the color on its heaD.
Towhee



I ended my walk by taking the Blue Trail that went past a large pond.  There I saw Canada geese, male and female wood ducks, 2 red-shouldered hawks that flew overhead, red-bellied woodpecker, red-winged blackbirds, and grackles.  I also checked out the area that is below a beaver dam, I am assuming since it was all made of sticks.

Hermit Thrush
In one of the trees near the pond, I followed a quick moving dull bird which had a dull green/yellow head and neck area - definitely not bright yellow like a goldfinch.  This bird was going after insects like crazy which made it difficulty to keep it in the binocs.  After consulting a few books, I determined it was a female COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (#51).  It moved so much (like most warblers do), that I could not get a picture of it.

Hermit Thrush
In a couple of trees over from where the common yellowthroat was, I found a RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET (#52) - a small roundish nondescript bird unless you're lucky enough to see its reddish stripe on its head.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment