Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 6 - January 6, 2012

Decided to check out South Pomperaug Road on the way home. So I parked the car in the lot of some businesses, grabbed binocs, and walked down to the wetlands.

As I got closer to the edge of the wetlands, I startled 3 mallards into flight. I stood for a few minutes and scanned the rest of the wetlands for anything but saw and heard nothing.

So I began to walk back to my car but decided to walk from South Pomperaug Road towards the Ken's Hardware complex on a asphalt sidewalk (which is still covered in places by down limbs from the 2 storms we had in August and October.)

As I got closer to Ken's, I noticed on the left a small 'pond' and began to scan it with my binocs and saw a great blue heron.

As I began to walk back to my car again (for the second time), a red-tailed hawk flew over the wetlands after being chased by a few crows.

I also stopped at the Public Library to look at a topo map of Woodbury and found what I already knew that Woodbury does not have many sources of open water. So, finding 'shore birds' will not be easy. But then again, I did see a solitary sandpiper and a cormorant last year in Woodbury, so you never know.

Therefore, today's totals and information are"

3:15-3:25pm; 52F; pcloudy; slight breeze

15) mallards 3 2f; 1 m
16) great blue heron 1
17) red-tailed hawk 1

No comments:

Post a Comment