Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 10 - Januarry 10 , 2012

I discovered the Hollow here in Woodbury today! Sure I knew it was there for as long as I have lived here in Woodbury - at least 15 years. I have been there for the LIONS Club's Car Shows, brought my grand kids there to play on the swings and fire truck and even saw the Waterbury Symphony Orchestra perform there as well as Mark Dalton. But I never knew the Hollow has trails, a decent stream flowing through it, and areas where animals would enjoy! Is Woodbury trying to keep the Hollow a secret?! Will definitely be back in spring for warblers!

Anyways. I got to the Hollow at 3:00 and parked in the overflow lot. I quickly saw a trail and started to follow it which took me along side the stream. I soon began to hear a bird call coming from the trees across the stream. At first I thought it might be a hairy woodpecker since the sound was similar to a rattle. The more I heard the call and the more I looked for the bird, the more I began to think Belted Kingfisher. And sure enough, I saw the bird - a belted kingfisher! I could not follow it long enough as it flew around to tell if it was a male or female - oh well.

Oh, I almost forgot to play weatherman ( as a friend told me):
3:00 - 3:45pm; 46F; overcast ; breezy (flag was flying quite well - rippling)

After the Hollow, I drove by the Transfer Station (3:50 pm) to see if anything was there. When I got closer, I saw vultures on the roof of a structure so I pulled off to side near Murry Brothers. I know immature turkey vultures can look like black vultures so I waited awhile. Eventually, 2 of them flew down to ground and I was able to see white at their wing tips which indicates they were indeed black vultures and not turkey vultures.

So today's adventure brings the total of my Big Year to:

21) Belted Kingfisher 1
22) Black Vulture 4

No comments:

Post a Comment