Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 16 - January 16, 2012

I have found out in my life that when I make plans, the best ones are 'skeleton' ones and I just let life fill in the 'muscle'. Such is what happened today. Originally I was going to go down to the shore, not Jersey's but CT's - Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford & Milford. But after yesterday's excursion to Flanders Nature Center, I could not do another long one today and besides, those birds would count for my yearly total but not for my Big Year. So I decided to bird the old trolley line behind what one the golf driving range.

So I got to the spot at 9:55am, clear skies, 17F (according to car thermometer) and no wind. And wouldn't you know it - the first bird I saw there was a Cedar Waxwing - the same ones I think I saw in yard yesterday but could not be positive due to sun being behind them. The other birds I saw were 'repeats' - 6 white throated sparrows, 1 crow, and 1 junco.

By the way, there were a few down trees/limbs blocking the trail which I hope the Town will take care of before spring since the area has everything birds will want when they return - water, shelter, and food.

On the way home, I got a pleasant surprise. While on Bacon Pond Road, I saw 6 Turkeys on the side of the road near the school bus depot. That was at 11:33am with the temp of 24F.

So my Big Year count is now:

25) Cedar Waxing 1
26) Turkey 6

No comments:

Post a Comment