Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 3 - January 3, 2012

Back to school today so most of the birding I was able to do was while driving home from school.

At 2:46pm, while pulling into LaBonnes' parking lot, I saw 6 crows flying over LaBonnes. Temp was 24F (according to thermometer in car), skies were clear, and it was breezy.

While driving to an appointment, I decided to see what was on the pond at the intersection of Old Sherman Road and Trolley Bed Road. Did not see anything there, but at the pond behind a house on Old Sherman Road there were 8 Canada geese. The time was 3:22pm, temp was 21F, again clear skies but breezy.

I decided afterwards to park the car and walk down Trolley Bed Road to see if there was anything stirring. I was not expecting anything since I started my walk at 4:30pm and the sky was getting darker. But I did notice that there was moving water and some bushes with berries on it. Will stop by again this weekend with camera so I can take pictures of these berries to see what they might be - one type was a very bright red. Also saw cattails on the other side of the road. So I am hoping this will be a good spot for wintering sparrows and other berry loving birds.

As I was walking back to my car, I noticed a trail leading to what I believe is Woodbury Reservoir (according to my Hagstrom Western CT Atlas). So I decided to walk the trail a bit and while doing so I got the idea that part of my winter birding could be to find places to go throughout the year. This trail looks promising because of the water and what looks to be a beaver lodge. While walking back to the car I saw 9 Canada geese which I am assuming were the same ones (meaning I originally miscounted) on the pond behind the house. It was also nice to see the moon out - looks a bit past first quarter. Also realized that I might want to make a 'birding bin' and keep it in the car containing my boots, ear muffs, hat and warmer gloves so in case I stop and explore, I will be a bit warmer.

So, today's count then is:

11) Crow
12) Canada goose

No comments:

Post a Comment