Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 98 - April 7, 2012

After taking recyclables and trash to the Transfer Station, I decided to drive up to the upper area where leaves and sometimes discarded Christmas trees are 'dumped'.  Towards the edge of this area, one can look down at a pond that is there.  This is the same place I checked out back on January 7 and during the 2011 Christmas Bird Count where I saw a Belted Kingfisher.

Well, today I was very surprised.  When I got to the edge to look down onto the pond, I saw 5 Great Blue Herons!  While looking around some more and into the trees, I saw more of them on nests in other trees.  Actually, in one tree there were three nests and a heron on each nest making me think I was looking at a "heron-condominium".  In total, I saw 11 herons.

I also saw a Kingfisher, three Red-Tailed Hawks circling above me, three Goldfinches, two Red-Winged Blackbirds, and 4 Barn Swallows (a Big Year bird).

Data:  10:05-10:25am; 49F; sunny; calm/slight

44)  Tree Swallow (I misidentified them as Barn Swallow but observed again on 4/21/2012 as tree swallows)

No comments:

Post a Comment