Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 92: Part 2 - April 1, 2012

After leaving Whittemore, I decided to see what was on Trolley Bed Road as I drove home.  As I drove down Trolley Bed Road, I saw a hawk in the tree and a Great Blue Heron in the water.  So I parked the car and got out to take a few pictures.

 Besides some nice shots of the Heron, I also saw a Common Grackle (Big Year Bird) and heard/saw many Red-Winged Blackbirds.





Red-Shouldered Hawk
Red-Shouldered Hawk
On my way back down Trolley Bed Road, I decided to park the car and take a few pictures of the hawk that I mentioned earlier.  Not being good at telling hawks apart, I thought the hawk was a Red-Tailed Hawk which I have already on my Big Year list.  But then the hawk, took off and flew almost overhead so I was able to take a picture of it and as I looked at it through the camera's eyepiece, I was certain I was seeing a Red-Shouldered Hawk.  When I got home, I compared the picture I took with my newest bird book - The Crossley Guide to Eastern Birds - and sure enough, it was a Red-Shouldered Hawk!
 
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Song Sparrow










DATA:  1:40-1:58pm; 51F; overcast

So now my Big Year totals are:

40)  Common Grackle
41)  Red-Shouldered Hawk


No comments:

Post a Comment