Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 102 - April 11, 2012

I decided to stop at what is becoming an interesting spot for me - Trolley Bed Road.  I decided to check out what I could see in the pond as well as both sides of the road itself.  It did not take me long to  see a male and female Hooded Merganser nor a Great Blue Heron in the pond.  I wish I had my camera!!!  There were also numerous Red-Winged Blackbirds and Grackles in the trees.

As I started to walk down Trolley Bed Road towards Route 64, I scared a Red-Shouldered Hawk out of a tree which then flew to another tree intently looking down into the pond for food, I am assuming.  I looked at the lawn of the house on the corner and saw 10 Starlings and 5 Robins.  Then 5 Canada Geese flew over head. 

Then I heard 'it'!  A high call.  I looked up and saw a distinctive wing shape as the bird flew overhead - somewhat sickle shaped or a swept backed curve - is the best way I can describe it.  A Killdeer!  It circled around a few times and then it flew off.  Bird # 45 for my Big Year.

On the way back to my car, I saw 2 Palm Warblers in the bushes where I had seen that Mockingbird earlier in the year.  I checked out the pond once again and saw ripples in the water.  I looked at the spot where the ripples originated from and saw either a Muskrat or Beaver.  he animal stopped in the water and at that moment the Red Shouldered Hawk bounced onto the water but flew off empty handed.  What a picture that would have been!

 So I go into my car and as I drove down Trolley Bed Road, I saw a Mockingbird in the usual place as well as some kind of woodpecker in a tree.

Not bad for a quick stop.

DATA:  5:30-6:00 pm; 55F; Cloudy; Slight to Moderate Breeze

45)  Killdeer

No comments:

Post a Comment