Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 52 - February 21, 2012 - Part 2 (posted on 2/25

Eurasian Wigeon


Greater Black-Backed Gull
American Wigeons
After leaving Stratford, I headed to Southport Beach to find the American Wigeons that have been reported being there by many CT birders.  I did see the American Wigeons which I photographed by did not realized until Wednesday that an Eurasian Wigeon has also been seen there.  So, I went back and looked through the photos I took to see if I accidentally did photograph an Eurasian Wigeon.  I thought I did and to verify it, I posted an email on the CTBird listserv with a link to the pictures asking other birders if I did indeed photographed an Eurasian Wigeon.  I received a few confirming  replies - now I need to check my Life List to see if the Eurasian Wigeon is a 'lifer' for me.  Besides the Wigeons, there were also Mallards and a Great Black-Backed Gull.
Mallards
Mallards & Wigeons










Finally, I went to Sherwood Island State Park and observed the birds in the wetlands area where the observation platform is.  There I saw some more American Wigeons and a Great Blue Heron.  While walking back to my car, I saw a very red Purple Finch!


Great Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron










Data:  Milford Audubon:        9:00-9:50am; 34F; cloudy; calm
           Birdseye Road:          10:15-10:35am; 40F; cloudy; calm
           Frash Pond:                10:45-10:50am; 41F; cloudy; calm
           Sikorsky Airport:        11:15-11:22am;
           Long Beach:              11:35-11:40am; pcloudy; calm
          Jefferson Street:         11:45-11:50am
          Southport Beach:       1:45-2:05pm; 47F; overcast; very windy
          Sherwood Is. SP:       2:45-3:00pm; 47F; overcast; windy



No comments:

Post a Comment