Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 35 - February 4, 2012

Male House Finch
I know I have not posted anything in a few days.  Between giving and grading midterm exams, appointments, making recommendations for students for next year's classes, and calculating second semester grades - there has not been much time.  But I have been looking on the way home while driving but not getting out of car and walking.
Male Northern Cardinal

But this morning was nice!  From 8:00-8:30am, there was a flurry of activity at the feeders here.  Although there were no birds to add to my Big Year, it was just nice and relaxing to watch the activity. 

Male Eastern Bluebird
So, here's what I saw in that half hour: 6 Blue Jays, 2 Chickadees, 2 Bluebirds (going in and out of a nest box), 2 House Finches, 1 White-throated Sparrow, 2 Mourning Dives, 1 Red-bellied Woodpecker, 4 Juncos, 3 Titmice, 2 Cardinals (male and female), and 1 Goldfinch. Whew!

I should note that every time I see a bird at the thistle feeder, I get the binocs and check to see if it isn't a Pine Siskins.  I am still spoiled by the irruption we had 2 years ago of pine siskins since they usually stay further north than here.  But for about 2 months, everyday I was able to see at least one pine siskins mixed in with the goldfinches at the thistle feeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment