Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 52 - February 21, 2012 - Part 1 (posted on 2/25/2012)



House Sparrow
After doing the GBBC for three days, I decided to spend the last day of my February vacation (which should have been this whole week but thank to the two storms we had last year, it became a two day vacation instead) birding the shore line.  I knew that any birds I would see would not count towards my Big Year but it is always nice to go down to the shore to see what's there and, to be a bit greedy, the birds would count towards my yearly stats that I have been keeping for over 10 years now.

So I started off at the Audubon at Milford Point.  I did see an American Wigeon and a few Grackles there as well as the 'usuals' - Cardinals, Mourning Dove, Mockingbird, Song Sparrows, House Sparrow, etc.


On my way to the Lordship area in Stratford and Long Beach,
Coots
Mute Swan
 I stopped at the Dock on Birdseye Street.  As I pulled into the lot, I saw a female Belted Kingfisher sitting on top of the Coast Guard Station there, but as I got out of the car, I scared it away.  I then went over to the little stream area across fro the Coast Guard Station to check on anything there but there wasn't anything.  I then went over to the docks and did see 4 Coots.  I then walked across the parking lot to the other wetlands area passing numerous Herring Gulls to discover over 20 more Coots!  There was also a Mute Swan and the previously mentioned Kingfisher (thanks to Henrietta and another birder whose name I have forgotten).  And when I went back to my car, I noticed a Song Sparrow in the grass by the stream I first checked out upon my arrival.
Song Sparrow
 
I also went over to Frash Pond where I saw 6 Buffleheads and 20 Canvasback ducks.  I then went to Sikorsky Airport and saw 20+ Snow Buntings (and when they flew, they showed their white and black wings) feeding where the Corsair Airplane used to be mounted many years ago (what ever happened to that Corsair?) and while checking out  Long Beach, I saw 18 Brants. Finally along Jefferson Street, I saw a male and female Long-Tailed Duck (which I first learned as Oldsquaws back in my college days).

So, I was going to leave Stratford and head out to Southport Beach but driving down Lordship Blvd., I decided to see the 'Warehouse Pond' where I have never been nor was I really sure how to get to.  I was very surprised to see how there was a rustic trail heading to the pond and I could quickly see how this spot is great for birding.  So I will definitely be back here in the spring for the arrival of warblers!

No comments:

Post a Comment