Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 36 - February 5, 2012 - GBBC

Although I did not see any new birds to add to my Big Year, there were two Carolina Wrens at the feeder today.

But more importantly is the upcoming Great Backyard Bird Count which is February 17 - 20 this year.  You can spend as little as 15 minutes or as much as the whole day counting birds.  You can stay in your house and just count the birds you see in your backyard or go to your favorite birding spot and count the birds there. 

All that you need to remember is to count the number of individuals of each species you see at any one time.  In other words, if I see 3 Chickadees at 10:00 am and then see 5 Chickadees at 1:00 pm, my count is 5 NOT 8 since I have no way of knowing if 3 of those 8 were seen before.

I tend to keep track of what I see for the whole day in my backyard.  Then at the end of the day, I log onto the GBBC website and enter my totals and information such as length of observing time, weather conditions,  snow cover, etc.


So, get your feeders ready, your and field guides handy, bookmark the GBBC website, and, if you use Twitter, follow what other people are seeing that weekend by using #GBBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment