Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 210 - July 29, 2012 - PART 1

Wow!  I can't believe that 22 days has gone by since I last birded towards My Big Year.
Red Eft

Mushroom
I decided to see what was up at the Whittemore Sanctuary and arrived there at 9:30 A.M.  I decided to start with the WHITE TRAIL but then turned right at the OLD EAST WEST ROAD turned left onto the BLUE TRAIL and headed for the BOG then right onto the YELLOW TRAIL than back to the BLUE TRAIL pass the POND which took me back to the entrance.  In all, about 2.5 miles.

The day started off with hearing more than seeing the birds.  I quickly heard a Goldfinch and a Red-Eyed Vireo.  Then I heard a bird going 'chik brrr'.  So I waited a few minutes and then saw a male Scarlet Tanager.  A few minutes later, a deep sounding 'braach' was heard - definitely not a crow but a RAVEN!
Spice Bush

White Dolls-Eye
Other birds I heard were:  Titmouse, Chickadee, Crow, Pewee.  Birds that I saw were:  White-Breasted Nuthatch, 2 Phoebes, Blue Jay, 2 Catbirds, Tree Swallow , and a Kingbird (the last 4 were seen at the BLUE TRAIL pond).

Finally, on my way back to the parking lot, I heard a  Wood Thrush.

DATA:  9:30 AM - 12:42 PM; 73F; overcast/breaks in sky; calm

81)   Raven

 
Note:  I did hear a bird that I could not recognize but will ask other birders if they know what I heard.


1 comment: