Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 188 - July 7, 2012

First, let me add a little more from yesterday.  Thanks to a few Connecticut Birders, I was able to identify two more birds from yesterday's outing at Flanders. 

Since I am not great at IDing birds by sound alone, I do not count them unless I am sure of them.  So yesterday I heard a bird calling "Here" or "Queer" in a consistant single note every 7 seconds.  I then took the suggestions of other birds and went to the Cornell University Ornithology website to listen to recorded calls adn then compare the recordings to what I heard.  It turns out, the bird was a Veery.

The second bird I heard near the Marsh went "Weep" or "Sheep" either once, twice, or three at a time and also in a single same note, that is, "weep-weep-weep" pause "weep-weep" pause "weep-weep-weep", etc.  Also after comparing suggestions with Cornell, it was a Great-Crested Flycatcher.

Then this morning, while driving home from gettign some pool chemicals, a bird flew pass my car.  It was small and dark blue in color.  At first I thought maybe a male Bluebird but the dark blue did not match a bluebird's blue.  Then I realized I had just seen a male Indigo Bunting!  No idea of weather conditions though when I saw the bunting so I won't list any.

So....

78)  Veery
79)  Great-Crested Flycatcher
80)  Indigo Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment