Saturday, March 17, 2012

DAY 77 - March 17, 2012

While working on lesson plans today for the next three weeks, I heard a bird calling seeming to say "fee bee...fee bee" and I quickly thought Eastern Phoebe.  Even though I thought it was a Phoebe, I am still not good with many bird calls so I was not going to count a Phoebe towards my Big Year unless I could see it.  I did not have to wait long.  The Phoebe flew and perched in the gray birch tree outside the window that I was looking out of to see if the call I heard did indeed come from a Phoebe.  You can also tell if a bird is a Phoebe by an interesting habit of the Phoebe - as it perches on a branch, it tends to wag, or pump,  its tail up and down.  Finally, don;t be too surprised if you see the Phoebe seem to fall to the ground and then fly back up to where it was almost instantaneously - it is only catching insects and returning to its 'high ground' to look for more from above.

So, add an Eastern Phoebe to my Big Year...

Data:  4:07 pm; clear sunny skies with calm winds; 63F

36)  Eastern Phoebe







No comments:

Post a Comment